Friday, November 29, 2013

When

A few posts ago, I wrote about concentrating on the idea of if the cancer comes back, not when. All I got to say is when is now.

I received the official word the night before Thanksgiving that my most recent PET scan showed a slight enhancement on my liver and that there was a new spot on my rib.  My oncologist calls it an early progression, and is starting me on the chemo Kadcyla next Friday. Kadcyla is a combination of chemo and Herceptin, and delivers the chemo directly to the cancer cells. It is supposed to be much more gentle. I get to keep my hair.

Frankly, keeping my hair is no consolation. I'd rather keep my life. But here we go again. I was hoping and praying the Herceptin and my body would keep the cancer at bay for years. My oncologist tells me I exceeded her expectations for how long I would stay stable. Seriously? She expected me to start dying sooner? What the. . .? That thought ain't no consolation either.

Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Honestly? I've been crying consistently since hearing the news. Today I lost it, pulled over after getting lost, throwing any free item I could reach around the inside of my car in a fit of rage. I am angry. I am sad. I am scared. And I am angry.

This is not fair. I know people who are total assholes who have had metastatic cancer and now seem to be cancer free. And this idea of "just keep fighting?" Screw that. I am sick of fighting. I just want to live my life. I am tired of living with the Damocles sword of death, resulting in the re scheduling of anything in my life that might mean anything to me. As a trucker might say,  fuck this shit.

Tattoos not advisable while on chemo? I'm getting one any way.  Vacations a risky idea? I'm going. Big purchases not recommended. I'm buying.  Life can do what it wants with me, but I'm gonna live.

All I have to say is when, when, when. Fuck that shit. I'm going to live now.

2 comments:

  1. Fuck it that's not fair! Now I'm crying and raging too. Damn it Susan! Kadcyla better help! I've still got you in my prayers and you don't have any objection if I try a spell or two either? Not to mention a Novena and candles? Or a couple of incense sticks and bells? We'll go all out and hit the out of the ordinary prayers.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck that shit. Frack it, fuck it and BAH. I am hoping this chemo will chase away those little cells. And in the meanwhile live, live, live. So sorry to hear this news, and so sorry for the emotional toll. !&%*%! Life can be one damn big scary challenge sometimes.

    ReplyDelete