Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Cancer Effect

I went to dinner with several friends on Saturday night, seven of us sitting around the table at a sushi restaurant.  Our bills came at the end of the meal and everyone pulled out wallets, cash, signed credit card receipts.  It took me a few moments before I noticed I didn't have a bill. My friend Thaura had absconded my check and was paying for my meal.  No particular reason. She just paid for my dinner.

Well, there was a reason. It was because I have cancer.  This has been happening a good amount lately. The times I've gone out to dinner with friends, I suddenly find my portion of the bill paid. I go to a friend's house and walk out with a new, lime green plush throw (thanks Jo Ann and Karin).

I am calling this the cancer effect.  People in their compassion for my pain, want to help somehow so they buy me things.

I feel slightly guilty about people treating me, but then again it's fun (it's nice to have a moment of surprise in the midst of cancer hell).  I've begun to take advantage of the cancer effect.  On arrival at Jo Ann and Karin's house tonight for dinner,  I walked into the apartment and announced. "Sorry I don't have a hostess gift.  I have cancer."  Why not use the cancer excuse, make it work for me.

While it is a wonderful gesture to buy me dinner, or give me small gifts, it's not necessary.  I am just so grateful for the support.  I had a moment last night where I thought to myself, what will happen once I'm better? Will all these people go away?

And then I thought, no, they'll still be here. They just won't buy me shit.  And I'm ok with that.

1 comment:

  1. Work it baby - you are worth it! You need all the positive, happy distractions we can offer!

    ReplyDelete