Monday, June 25, 2012

Progress Not Perfection

That's my new approach. I saw my oncologist today to go over the results of my bone and CT scans.  Here's the interesting part.  My oncologist was so concerned that the cancer had grown in size, she was thrilled the scans showed a decrease in size of the tumors. I, on the other hand, had been hoping that all the tumors were gone.  So I was slightly disappointed. Same result, different expectations, and, therefore, different reactions. My doctor has seen patients like me show increase in tumor size at this point, and I have no experience so figured I'd be at zero tumors by now.

Certainly, my oncologist's experience and reaction had an impact on me.  I am now grateful that the tumors have decreased even a little and that the chemo and Herceptin are still working. I learn quickly.

But here is what I am really thrilled about.  I get a two month break from chemo. Thank God. I need this break. The chemo has been kicking my butt to the point where I feel ground into the floor.  I am exhausted, my hands and feet are plagued with neuropathy, and now my nails are falling off.  My body feels very weakened and I would like some time to get my strength back.

So for two months I'll be receiving Herceptin every three weeks (the Herceptin will keep the cancer from growing) and I will be closely monitored to make sure nothing starts up again.

Plus, during this period, my oncologist wants to take a closer look at the metastatic area on my femur and consider using radiation on the spot. Based on the bone scan, the area is less active but the oncologist still wants to asses it. Compared to chemo, this all sounds like a breeze.

What struck me the most though is my oncologist's overall reaction. She's very relaxed about it all. There's no urgency, no air of "we need to deal with this now or you'll die." She views the cancer as something we can contain for a period of time and then go back to attacking.  This air of relaxation means I can relax too and enjoy my break, although I am fully aware that if the tumor markers go up, I will be back on chemo lickety split. My oncologist is demonstrating a progress not perfection approach, and that is a healthy view.

Even a Weeble has more hair than I do
I'm looking forward to the next social occasion I'll actually be able to attend since I won't be knocked out by chemo. And I'm looking forward to seeing the tiniest bit of hair growing back, even if it is immediately thrown off my head by the next round of chemo. I've become a person who is grateful for the very small things.  Hair growing back, the tiny bit of healthy nail showing at the base of my nail bed, the ability to even get up and attend a movie, any feeling coming back to my hands and feet. 

Progress not perfection. It's not a bad idea. And frankly, when you look like a Weeble, but with no hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes, progress sounds like a really fine thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment